The Global Control and Business Analysis department is Vopak’s global finance and control function where finance professionals combine financial expertise and business acumen to drive the decisions critical to creating and sustaining organizational value. The department is also responsible for management information, external reports, risk management and the effectiveness of the internal controls of the group.
The Global Treasury Department is a fully centralized department within Vopak. The department is responsible for all external Funding, Cash Management, FX and Interest rate management. For internal funding the In-House Bank concept is applicable.
The Global Treasury Controller seeks to protect value in the Vopak group by ensuring financial risk management is fit for purpose and operating effectively. As such, this function is responsible for all treasury related reporting and control tasks such as analyses, monitoring of compliance with internal policies and external requirements, IFRS accounting for hedges and financial instruments as well as preparing specific reports. At the same time, this function is involved in various ad-hoc projects.
In this function you play a pivotal role between the Global Treasury and the Global Control and Business Analysis departments. In addition to excellent analytical skills, strong communicative and inter-personal skills combined with an independent mindset are key for being successful in this cross-departmental role.
This position reports to the Head of Global Reporting and Control and offers an excellent opportunity for an experienced finance professional to understand the group’s liquidity management, internal and external financing and financial risk management activities. The Mid-Office employee(s) report directly to you. At the same time you gain exposure to a wide range of treasury, accounting, reporting and control topics, and can further build a network within the Vopak group. This function will also engage directly with external auditors.
Roles and responsibilities:
Your main roles and responsibilities are:
- Managing of financial, operational and organizational risks that are connected to the core activities of the treasury processes within the Vopak group and its affiliates;
- Provide independent oversight over the Global Treasury Department and the local treasury functions at the Opco’s and divisions;
- Controlling of and reporting on the treasury transactions undertaken by the Vopak group and its affiliates, both internally and externally;
- Ensure full compliance with the requirements of the group’s external financing arrangements and take timely actions when there are indications that these external requirements may not be met. Prepare specific reports in this respect, such as the compliance certificates;
- Understand the external regulatory environment in the accounting and finance environment and the impact this may have for the Treasury function;
- Ensure internal compliance with the group treasury policies and procedures and advice on improvements to enhance control and/or create efficiencies in cooperation with the Global Treasury Department;
- Monitor that the operating companies and divisions are effectively managing their working capital and advice on this when areas for improvement area identified;
- Drive ongoing process improvement in the treasury and control processes to ensure that the company makes best use of the financial systems available in this respect, allowing maximum time to focus on critical areas which add the most value;
- Ensure correct application of relevant accounting standards relating to financial instruments, foreign currencies and hedge accounting within group companies as well as joint ventures and associates. Advice on such matters within the company and analyze the effects of changes in accounting rules on the company.
- Maintain the Vopak Accounting Manual in the area of financial instruments, hedge accounting, and foreign exchange currency accounting and maintain the Vopak Treasury Manual (‘penvoerder’) as a whole and specifically with regard to the treasury processes;
- Provide technical accounting input and advice for treasury finance deliverables, including commentary on group reporting implications on treasury and related transactions (incl. acquisitions and divestments) to ensure that accounting impacts are clearly captured;
- Support preparation of (external) financial reporting and external disclosures;
- Be an active member of the Strategic Finance Committee, which role is to identify financial and discuss matters which have a strategic impact. The SFC advices the CFO in respect of strategic finance matters;
- Be the chairman of the Operational Finance Committee, which is a coordinating and advice committee of the combined global finance functions with regards to operational finance matters;
- Review of factual treasury reports prepared by the mid-officer, such as the monthly treasury;
- Issue (parts of) more complex and analytical internal treasury reports, such as the quarterly report;
- Safeguard the integrity of the operations of the Global Treasury department;
- Perform and evaluate quantitative and qualitative analyses of financial figures and risks in relation to the treasury transactions and processes;
- Maintaining strong relationships with the finance staff of Opco’s, divisions and staff of other global departments on accounting, reporting and control in the area of treasury;
- Approve changes in static data of the treasury management system and banking systems;
- Maintain dealing mandates, signature cards and other relevant documentation;
- Educate Vopak colleagues on relevant treasury accounting and control topics;
- Participating in ad hoc projects both inside and outside of your areas of expertise, in line with business needs and efficiency objectives;
- Manage the mid-office employee(s).
Other roles and responsibilities may be added to this function.
The following personal attributes are important for this role:
- Pro-active, confident, self-motivated, self-starting and independent;
- High level of ethics and integrity;
- Adaptable and able to develop itself;
- Team worker being able to partner with various departments, yet also able to work autonomously;
- Strong communicator;
- Well organized;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Solid analytical and organizational skills;
- Highly numerate with a close attention to detail;
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership;
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight timelines.
Skills and experience
- Master degree in Business Economics or Finance or equivalent, preferably complemented with either an Association of Corporate Treasurers (ACT, or equivalent) qualification or a Certified Controller (RC, or equivalent) or Certified Public Accountant (RA, or equivalent) qualification;
- Knowledge of and experience with the Control function, Corporate Finance, Treasury, financial institutions and the Capital Markets as part of the financial services industry is a prerequisite.
- Good knowledge of financial products and services such as cash management, which are offered by financial institutions and are used by treasury departments;
- Experience in the valuation of derivatives and other financial instruments;
- Sound knowledge of and experience with accounting and reporting processes;
- Experience with Treasury software and management systems such as Bloomberg, FIS/Integrity and FXall;
- Good knowledge of relevant IFRS standards, as well as the basic knowledge of legal and fiscal rules for treasury, combined with the ability to put this knowledge into practice is a prerequisite;
- Project Management skills;
- Sound understanding of internal controls and financial risk management;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel; and
- Fluent spoken and written Dutch and English.
Are you the Global Treasury Controller we are looking for?
Then please have a look at our website www.vopak.com/career and apply via the ‘apply’ button below. For questions about the process please contact the recruitment department Pieter van den Eijnden, (0613063956).
A psychological test or further assessments can be part of the selection procedure.